Gloria Dei Lutheran Church was organized in 1927 as St. John’s Lutheran Church of Pontiac. In 1962, we relocated to our present location in Auburn Hills at 2600 Pontiac Road. Gloria Dei is a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and is proud to celebrate 80 years of celebrating the Glory of God!
Original Church: St. John’s Lutheran Church on Hill Street at Cherry Ct.
The congregation of St. John’s Lutheran Church, early 1930s
Pastor Cecil Johnson is on the right.
On the congregation’s 35th anniversary, we moved to our
present location at 2600 Pontiac Road in Auburn Hills,
and changed the name from St. John’s to Gloria Dei.
A Gloria Dei worship service – 1960s
A meeting of the Gloria Dei Church Women
(now called the Women of the ELCA), 1960s
Our congregation has always been on
the cutting edge. Even in fashion.
Above: Pastor Chilkott sporting the “Full Cleveland” look (1970s)